COVID-19Updates from your credit union.
03/27/2020 WE CARE Relief Program
The WE CARE Relief Program includes options to assist our members and the community we serve with emergency assistance during times of national distress. Since the Coronavirus (COVID 19) has been causing disruptions to regular day life in the United States and around the world, Wakota FCU is implementing and offering relief services and emergency loans. The program includes:
As each individual’s situation is different the credit union staff is prepared to tailor the program to fit your needs and help you get through hardships you may be experiencing. Please note that not every member may be eligible for each offered support service.
Feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns by calling 651-451-3330 or emailing email@example.com.
Please remember we are all in this together and we will come out stronger!
03/25/2020 Stay at Home Order Press Release
Wakota Federal Credit Union Remains Open to Serve
Credit Unions are an essential service and are open to serve during the Stay at Home order for Minnesota
South St. Paul, Minnesota – As financial institutions are an essential service, Wakota Federal Credit Union (WFCU) remains open to serve members during this the stay at home order declared by Governor Walz on March 25, 2020.
WFCU deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) per individual up to $250,000, just as bank deposits are insured by the FDIC. Members can rest assured their money is safe.
The health and safety of members and staff remain a top priority. Therefore, only our drive-up will be available for transactions.
In addition, WFCU urges consumers to use online and mobile tools, or call 651-451-3330 to make transfers or ask questions about financial options.
WFCU offers a range of solutions to help members manage through temporary or extended periods of reduced or lost income. The credit union is waiving many fees, offering loan skip payments and recently announced “WE CARE” emergency loans. Members who need immediate financial counseling can call our partner, GreenPath, free of charge. Visit our website for details.
In addition, the Minnesota Credit Union Network (MnCUN) introduced a website with additional resources from financial counseling to food insecurity for Minnesotans during the COVID-19 pandemic: www.mncun.org/ConsumerCoronavirusResources.
Consumers are urged to work with their credit union on any financial concerns they may have, rather than withdrawing large amounts of cash. Any withdrawal of cash eliminates the NCUA insurance, and could put people’s public safety at risk.
Furthermore, Wakota Federal Credit Union encourages the following guidance from the CDC, law enforcement, and Minnesota’s Attorney General:
The CDC is recommending using tap and electronic payments to minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19. Information can be found at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/workplace-school-and-home-guidance.pdf
Minnesota’s Attorney General Keith Ellison has advised consumers to be hyper-aware of COVID-19 scams and report price gouging. Information can be found at: https://www.ag.state.mn.us/Office/Communications/2020/03/13_CoronavirusScams.asp
“We recognize that with the constantly changing COVID-19 situation, this is an unprecedented time filled with uncertainty.” Mary Matheson, President and CEO said. “Wakota Federal Credit Union is committed to meeting the financial needs of our members through this evolving situation. We want our members to know that we understand the importance of our service and the responsibility that entails. One thing they can be certain of is their credit union is here for them.”
About Wakota Federal Credit Union
Established in 1931, Wakota Federal Credit Union formally known as Armour Credit Union was originally formed to provide “Savings and Thrift” to the Armour Foods employees and their families. Our name was changed in 1997 to Wakota Federal Credit Union as we became a community and federally chartered credit union. The name Wakota is derived from a bridge in South St. Paul that connects Washington and Dakota Counties. Wakota is a word that is easily identifiable to the community of South St Paul where our main office is located. Wakota FCU has grown considerably since its inception and now services all of Dakota County providing all the “Big Bank” services with that small home town feel. While our heart is in South St Paul, our members can transact business at over 5000 credit union shared branches metro, nationally and worldwide. We are YOUR Banking Alternative. To learn more visit www.wakotafcu.org or call us at 651.451.3330
- As of Monday, earlier this week, we closed the lobby to general walk-in but were still accepting appointments. Beginning Monday, March 23rd the lobby will remain temporarily closed completely. However, if you absolutely need to access your Safe Deposit Box please call or email us to set-up an appointment and you will be allotted a 5 minute window to do so. At this time we do not have an ending date scheduled. We are closely following state and federal direction and recommendations.
- Drive-up will remain open during regular business hours, with extended services available in lane one. Wait times in the drive-up may be longer than normal. Please be patient as we work with you to provide service in a timely manner. Night depository is also available and deposits will be processed promptly during open hours. Cash limit will be set at $2,500. If you need to withdraw more than that, we can accommodate with a 7-day advance notice.
- Shared Branching: We also have a large selection of Shared Branch Service Center locations still available. Cash withdrawal limits are $500 at these locations. You can use our Branch Locator to find available locations.
- Lending services will remain available. You may apply online here, by calling our main line 651-451-3330 or email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org (please do not email sensitive information).
- The credit union is happy to offer assistance and relief, if you experience financial difficulty during this pandemic. We have a variety of tools available; please call us to start a conversation.
- At this time we have cancelled all Wakota FCU events including our annual meeting on April 28, 2020. Continue to check our website for updates and possible rescheduled events.
- Your money is SAFE! All deposits at federally insured credit unions are protected by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund, with deposits insured up to at least $250,000 per individual depositor. Credit union members have never lost a penny of insured savings at a federally insured credit union. Additional information on NCUA share insurance coverage for consumers is available at MyCreditUnion.gov.
- Keep an eye out for potential scams related to COVID-19. Here is an article from the Federal Trade Commission with more information.
- The CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) has resources and tips to protect yourself financially from the impact of the coronavirus. View the article here.
- Use your Debit or ATM card to access funds. There are thousands of surcharge free MoneyPass ATM locations nationwide. Find a location here. Don’t have a card? We strongly suggest that you apply for one. Call a representative to place an order today.
- Wakota FCU offers a robust suite of online and mobile banking products for your convenience. Visit our website to learn more and download our mobile app for Android and Apple today!
- One last thing to note at this time we are suspending our seasonal printed newsletter due to rapid changes and the need for prompt communications. Stay up-to-date with all changes on our COVID-19 Updates page.
With the coronavirus (COVID-19) becoming more active in our area, we want to assure our members that Wakota FCU is taking measures to keep our staff and members protected while we continue to provide access to your accounts and loans. We have been tracking the situation daily, offering our employees standing guidance.
- Beginning Monday, March 16, our main office, located at 1151 Southview Blvd, South St Paul will close our lobby access to the public. We will be available by appointment for non-cash transactions. To make an appointment please call 651-451-3330 ext. 3. The public areas are sanitized throughout the day. The drive-up and ATM will be in full service for cash transactions.
- The night drop will be checked throughout the day for deposits.
- Refrain from non-essential visits into the branch. General cash activity should take place through our drive-up as well as using ATM’s.
- Anyone wearing a mask will be asked to remove the mask for security and identification purposes.
- We continue to be proactive in setting up the safest environment for Wakota and its community. We ask that you do the same with regards to avoiding close contact, hand shaking, and following proper hygiene.
- We encourage our employees and our members to practice social distancing and to stay home when ill or if contact with a known infected person has occurred.
- Key departments of the organization are equipped to work remotely, if necessary, to ensure we can continue to serve our members.
- At this time we have have cancelled all Wakota FCU events including our annual meeting on April 28, 2020. Continue to check our website for updates and possible rescheduled events.
Wakota FCU continues to monitor the situation and will make changes to keep our employees and members safe and minimize the possibility of spreading this illness.
For the most up to date information follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Updates will also be posted in our lobby and on our website: https://wakotafcu.org.
We will continue to monitor this ever-changing public health situation. Our Board of Directors and Management Team are ready to ensure our service remains uninterrupted and at the highest level possible.
Please feel free to reach out to us with any concerns at 651-451-3330 or email@example.com.
Thank you for your membership and stay healthy out there!
Access to your credit union:
- Mobile App with Mobile Deposit
- Bill Pay
- Pay Your Loan Online
- Text Banking
- Shared Banking You can access your account at other credit unions using Co-Op Shared Branching. Check their modified schedules
- Apply for loans and accounts online
- Complete and sign online forms to update accounts, change your address, set up automatic payments, skip loan payments and more
- Give us a call at 651-451-3330 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wakota FCU has more than 50,000 surcharge-free ATMs nationwide. Many of these ATMs also can take check and cash deposits. You can locate ATMs near you by using our mobile app or visit our website: https://wakotafcu.org/accounts/atm-locations
Debit & Credit Cards
Your credit and debit cards give you immediate access to your money. And you can use them anywhere Visa® is accepted. You also have the option to freeze and unfreeze your debit cards at any time through the mobile app.
You can call us to check balances, make loan payments, verify funds, and more. Call 651-451-3330. We will continue to be available Mon-Fri from 7:00am to 7:00pm and on Sat from 7:00am-4:30pm.