Mary Ann Kosel Memorial ScholarshipShe will forever be remembered, honored, and loved. To honor her cooperative spirit, Wakota FCU established this annual scholarship.
Thank you for your interest in the Wakota FCU’s inaugural Mary Ann Kosel Memorial Scholarship.
WFCU is offering one (1) scholarship in the amount of $1,000.
Who was Mary Ann Kosel?
Mary Ann Kosel had a profound influence on credit unions in Minnesota that has spanned over 50 years – as a member, employee, volunteer, director, mentor, counselor, facilitator, educator, consultant, and most of all a friend to all. Everyone appreciated her welcoming and kind spirit. She brought a peaceful calm and clarity to all interactions.
She became a member of Wakota FCU in 1990 and shortly thereafter was appointed to the Supervisory Committee. She was then elected to the Board in 1996 and served 7 consecutive 3-year terms until resigning from her voluntary position in 2017.
Wakota FCU was fortunate to have her in an executive leadership role on our board and serving as the Chair during most of that time. Not only did she sit on the board, but she served on every committee the credit union ever had during her tenure.
Mary Ann believed strongly in the credit union principles “People helping People”, and “Cooperation Among Cooperatives”, and was personally instrumental in perpetuating the movement here in Minnesota. Her credit union experience and professional financial accounting knowledge was freely shared to all credit unions seeking her assistance.
In 2017 Mary Ann received one of the highest honors given by the Minnesota Credit Union Network, the Minnesota Credit Union Foundation CU Builder Award on behalf of Wakota Federal Credit Union and South Metro Federal Credit Union where she was a long time employee. As well as for her advocacy and volunteer work at the many credit unions she has helped throughout her career.
She will forever be remembered, honored, and loved.
Scholarship applicants must be one of the following type of students:
- Current high school student graduating in 2021
- Post high school student, current college student or those returning to post-secondary after some time off.
Scholarship applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a member of Wakota Federal Credit Union in good standing at time of application and disbursement. The applicant must be a member and not a joint member.
- Enrolled or plan to attend an accredited, trade school, community college, or university in an undergraduate or graduate program (both master and doctorate) in the 2021-22 school year.
- Awards will not be disbursed until the student is accepted and enrolled in an accredited institution. Funds will be distributed to the student and school.
- Information provided on the application must be accurate and solely the authentic work of the applicant.
- Financial need is not considered in the selection of the scholarship recipients.
- Scholarship is awarded based on essay only.
- Employees and volunteers of Wakota Federal Credit Union along with their immediate family and household members are not eligible to enter.
- By submitting your candidacy for the application, you release permission to use your photograph, video, name, and/or quotation in marketing and promotional initiatives, including, but not limited to, print advertising, articles, brochures, TV, Internet, etc. I agree to hold Wakota Federal Credit Union harmless for any claims arising from the use of my photograph, name, video, and/or quotation.
APPLICATION & ESSAY SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
APPLICATION & ESSAY SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Applications must be submitted electronically by 11:59 p.m. CST Sunday, April 4, 2021. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Submit an essay not to exceed 500 words answering the essay question for this scholarship period. Do not use your name or the name of any Wakota FCU employees, volunteers or members in your essay or on the essay page. Essays that include identifying names will be automatically disqualified.
The winner will be announced at our annual meeting scheduled to be held on Wednesday, April 28th.
Knowing that we have the power today to change the story of tomorrow, how do you plan to use your education to leave a positive impact in today’s society and on our community?
Essay response should be 500 words or less. Judging is based on contest, creativity and grammar/ spelling.
Sign up for our News & Specials
Give us your email address and we’ll keep you informed about important events at your Credit Union.